Thursday, March 3, 2016

Vocabulary set #1 for Pobby and Dingan


Claim
Stating something as truth 
Khan’s and me and Dad were relaxing after a hard afternoon’s work out at the claim. “Potch. Nothing special.”

Wobbling 
Shaking
The noise of a car drove into our ears and a four-wheel-drive police jeep came wobbling down the creamy red track that leads to our claim.

Startled 
Excited or scared because of surprise 
My dad turned around, startled.

Figment 
Fantastic idea, unreal 
kicked the air in the head to show Kellyanne that Pobby was a figment of her imaginings.

Rummaged
Looking and searching for
He rummaged through piles of rocks.

Ute
American Indian people
I slammed the door of the ute in Dingan’s face

Crackpot
A crazy perso.m
Lightning Ridge was full of flaming crackpots as far as I could see.

Mello Yello
Soft drink. Soda. 
hiding my anger in a swig from my can of Mello Yello.

Mates
Another half. A member of a team. 
“I still say Kellyanne could do with some real-live mates,”

Opal
A kind of white shinny mineral 
My dad would come back from the opal mines covered in dust, his beard like the back end of a dog that’s shat all

Fairdinkum
Australian slang meaning fair or true. 
“Fairdinkum?” His excitement always caught ahold of me.

Imaginary 
Unreal. Imaginations 
Her imaginary friends 

Grub
Searching busily or bug. 
too. She said they were quieter and better behaved than me and deserved the grub.

Mammoth 
Extinct elephant. 
has taken out a million-dollar stone and a fossilized mammoth tooth with sun-

No comments:

Post a Comment